Author Topic: rp_city45_catalyst: Can I upgrade it?  (Read 7339 times)

Offline PixelDuh

• View Profile
    • Awards
rp_city45_catalyst: Can I upgrade it?
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
I was walking/flying around the map in single player and I got a lot of ideas for editing the map itself. So, I plunked myself down infront of the Hammer World editor and I browsed around- But I couldn't open the map! It was some BSP type of file or something and I couldn't edit it. The point is, I would like to try and edit the map and then upload it on this thread to see if the admins will take a look at it. Thanks,
      -AliDuh1
*EDIT* I have the VMF now, just can't recompile it for some reason
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:20:35 PM by mbehiry »
For gaming videos, such as Minecraft, Half Life, Black Mesa, and Spore, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/PixelDuh?feature=mhee

Offline PixelDuh

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: rp_city45_catalyst: Can I upgrade it?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
All I am planning on doing is putting static and definite barricades instead of ingame spawned props, and convert all glass to breakable glass (except in the nexus, which would be a pretty cool feature.) Also I am going to add light in the subway, Change the textures for people who don't have CS:S (like me) and maybe, MAYBE i will make randomly patroling NPC scanners.
For gaming videos, such as Minecraft, Half Life, Black Mesa, and Spore, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/PixelDuh?feature=mhee

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:52:04 AM »
Listen, if you can't open a map, don't waste hours figuring out how to do very basic stuff. You'll just give up when you realize how annoying mapping is.

Offline garry :D

• ~I LOVE a boat~
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:06:43 AM »
The map is protected against decompile attempts.

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:34:04 AM »
Even if you were given the vmf, these changes are not practical. Breakable glass is expensive and incredibly annoying. Adding more static props just adds to an already close to full entity limit, same with adding NPCs. And the subway lacks light for a reason.

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 07:22:53 AM »
Why would you have lights on a broken down, unused railway?

Breakable glass - Quite a few problems, seeing as combine could just break down the door and people could lolpunch the windows out.

Static props - Nothing really wrong with that apart from the near full entity limit.

Offline PixelDuh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
Ok well, you guys all seem to have problems with my ideas and apparently will refuse to give me the decompiled version, and I respect that.

You just probably never heard of vmex...

So NOW I GOT IT!

And I will probably just fix a couple of minor stuff, like missing textures and stuff like that, but, like I said in the first thing, the breakable glass will only be in the outside like in the town square and non-combine areas (the nexus will have bullet proof glass) and the barriers in front of the entrances of the nexus, D6, and the RDT
*edit* HOLY CRAP THIS IS DIFFICULT!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:27:00 AM by mbehiry »

Offline swag master spiderman

• Grand Wizard of the KKK
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »
That doesn't really stop people from lolpunching all of the store windows out when nobody is watching.

Offline PixelDuh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »
All this time i thought that lolpunching was disabled

Offline Dragon Dildo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
NPC Scanners? You've got to be kidding.
HL2RP Characters
Jim Boyle - Obeying the Combine in City
Marcus Nicholson - Getting used to City
Heikki Savolainen - Relaxing in D6.
Cliff Westburgh - Hunting rats in D6.
Chandler Hetfield (Outlands) - Trying to find his bearings.
Joey Geller (Outlands) - Sitting in the clinic with his left leg broken.

Offline PixelDuh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
Ok I said MAYBE about the scanners, but since you guys don't seem to want it, i wont put it in

Offline Penguin

• Jesus Christ Is Real
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] You Own The Mall
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
I really doubt that cg would want to release the vmf to a nobody who asked for it.

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Vmex = decompiler = stealing the devs hard work wihout permission = copyright infringement = lawsuit

Word of advice, only use vmex to see how a dev did something, not to take their work and edit it.  As for how difficult the map is, no shit its hard. Mapping aint a walk in the park bud. Ive been mapping since 2006 and i still have a hard time with some things. Mapping isnt something you just do, its an art. It takes time. Ineu pass was a simple procedure of crashing two maps together and making it seamless. I added a few things here and there but really, its not a full map construct and it still took me 400+ hours.

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
Vmex = decompiler = stealing the devs hard work wihout permission = copyright infringement = lawsuit

Word of advice, only use vmex to see how a dev did something, not to take their work and edit it.  As for how difficult the map is, no shit its hard. Mapping aint a walk in the park bud. Ive been mapping since 2006 and i still have a hard time with some things. Mapping isnt something you just do, its an art. It takes time. Ineu pass was a simple procedure of crashing two maps together and making it seamless. I added a few things here and there but really, its not a full map construct and it still took me 400+ hours.
Not to mention that once he tries to compile it hammer will always crash...

No shit karma tried it and it always crashed it simply cannot be done.
1:23 PM - Pvt. Emory[113thCav]: I think 604 is a cat :3

2:07 PM - Juggernaut: Monkey with a gun
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: + Chunkeymonkey79
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: =
2:07 PM - Juggernaut: CHUNKYMONKEY WITH A GUN69
2:07 PM - chunkeymonkey79: YOU SIR ARE GOD

9:52 PM - Rory Phelps: gosh god damnit fuck my ass

Offline Statua

• INEU CREATOR
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Owner Party [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 05:42:33 AM »
Actually it can be done. Look at ineu pass. Those were two maps decompiled and stuck together. Sure it took me ages to fix all the broken shit but Im pretty good with map repairs if I have time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal