Author Topic: Welcome to city 45, enjoy your stay  (Read 8502 times)

Offline igor

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Welcome to city 45, enjoy your stay
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »
I don't like the map, it is a top quality map but the atmosphere just doesn't sit right with me, it's too bright and damn it I just don't like the layout. Don't get me wrong, it's a great map but I don't feel that it's aged gracefully ( it's not that old ). What are the chances of it changing within the next six months? Thanks for the replies.
C45.CCA.APEX-05.245

'Clyde'

Kal'Rinok

Offline Darkshifter98

• Flipper of Elephants
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to city 45, enjoy your stay
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:14 PM »
I've been thinking about City 45, and I agree, I always felt more immersed in City 18. It was dark, depressing, and when the menu had the song that came with HL2RP (Nova prospect) It would fit well. So, if we were to have a map change (which I highly doubt) I would vote for City 18, or add the dark, depressing nature to City 45.
\\\"Hold right bumper to flip... wait, what? How did you do that?\\\"

Offline igor

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »
I concur, City 18 is very good, but I have had the best experiences I've ever had on the map City 8, so I would gladly switch our current map for City 8
C45.CCA.APEX-05.245

'Clyde'

Kal'Rinok

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:41:59 PM »
Ehhh Both maps aren't my favorite, though I remembered there was a city 45 that had a day and a night. Don't know if it was the map or something else but it brought the change I liked every once in a while. City 8 did have a cool aspect to it but always seemed too clustered felt like I could just turn the corner as an officer and just run into a Rebel. Aesthetically city 8 is quite nice.

Offline GeneralTrivium

• Awards [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:16:39 AM »
Why does everyone obsess over City 18? Yes it's dark and depressing. But it is over-used to the point of becoming boring + dark and depressing, which makes it a chore to come and RP. I see you complaning about C45 being too "bright". Look at the beginning of HL2, is it dark and depressing? No, it's actually quite sunny.

Take a look at the majority of HL2RP maps used, look at how many of them are dark and depressing. BO-RING. The reason City 45 was made to be sunny was to throw in something different. Personally I think a day/night cycle would be ideal, however i'm told it's a huge pain in the ass to do.

Long story short, there is a new map in the works that's set in City 8.

Offline [CA] KiwieeEh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:58:47 AM »
Long story short, there is a new map in the works that's set in City 8.

If only raiden read his PMs...
"If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.
I've got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one."

"Have a great evening, sorry, maple syrup, eh, moose, and ice hockey to you!"

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna' be my year."

Offline Checkers

• Cats are cool stuff
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
I would like city8 due to all the apartment blocks and stores.
I am ded not big surprise.

Offline Airborne1st

• I'm White
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Loyal To The Government
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »
The biggest problem I see with changing the map from City 45 is the lack of certain things that we've come to rely on that creates RP that many other maps, if any, can create. What I mean by this is the ration distribution terminal. I don't know about this City 8 everyone is talking about, but unless it has an RDT, we may have to stop rations, or at the very least, make it even more boring than it already is. I also don't know of any other map at all that has specific places the CWU to have an HQ and/or a clinic. Changing the map will cut down on RP potential and actually limit RP down from what it is now.

Another problem is the CCA. The City 45 Nexus is beyond perfect for the CCA's needs. The City 18 Nexus doesn't have shit but 2 elevators, detainment, a lobby, and a few useless rooms. It doesn't have a Med-Bay, breach training room, break room, firing range, hand to hand combat room, etc. Switching the map would severely limit the CCA's space and probably eliminate recruit training, due to lack of available spaces to train them with. If not eliminated, severely limited. On top of that, look at the all the division specific spaces we have in the City 45 Nexus. GRID has its own set of rooms where they train and do projects that are made just for them. NOVA has the med-bay, which I can't even stress how much that's used on a daily basis for both training, and medical practice. Even APEX has the interrogation room to apply what they've trained for and learned.

I think the problem here is that those who have only citizen characters and haven't been accepted into the CCA are bored of civilian life in City 45 and want a change. To them, there is no difference in City 45 and any other map except the feel of it. Every time this topic is brought up, it seems that just about every person that has a unit argues against it strongly, and those who don't and never have had a unit in City 45 argue back with points of,  "I want a dark depressing map, let's change to City 18 like 90% of gmod servers." This is because they don't understand and haven't experienced the City 45 Nexus, or unit RP. For those of you who haven't had units in the CCA here yet, I can almost promise you that once you do, if you ever do, that you will never want to change to another map unless it has at least the same facilities the current City 45 Nexus has.

I haven't played on City 8 yet, and I don't know how big it is, or what types of facilities the Nexus has, or if it has a place for rations to be handed out, etc. I do know, that you can't please everyone. If you try to make a night map, people will complain because they need flashlights and don't want to pay for one. If you make a daylight map, people will complain its not dark and depressing enough. If you have a map that has the space to hand out rations, people will complain they're not handed out enough. If you have a map that doesn't have RDT space, people will complain that they miss rations and want them back. If you have a map with more than what you need in a Nexus for the CCA, units will be happy. If you have such a map and then change it to one that has far less space in the Nexus, cutting down on RP, then units will complain, and rightfully so.

For those of you who are citizens and don't know what its like to be a unit, you'd want to keep City 45 and just get a night version or a day/night cycle of it because of how fun it is to be a unit and train in the Nexus. As for the CWU, I'd feel bad for you if we switched maps, because unless it has space for you to have your own facilities, then you're just a citizen with a white jacket on that doesn't need a business permit interview. At least in City 45, you have your own HQ and clinic to RP your separate divisions and your own interviews.

My overall point here, is that unless there's a map to switch to that will have no less than City 45 has now for the citizens, the CCA, and the CWU, I don't support switching because its only cutting down on and in some cases, severely limiting RP.

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
City 45 is a terrible map for atmosphere and mood, causing any immersion to disappear and it to become a terribly boring map. City 18 was acctually a really good map for immersion, the mood and the atmosphere. It had good roleplay and whatever people say about this "mingeville" bullshit is infact bullshit, as we get the same, if not more amount of minges on C45 than we did on C18.

I believe we should go back to City 18 (who gives a crap if people are "obsessing" about it, it was a hell of a better map than City 45) or atleast move to a map that is way more better for the atmosphere, mood and immersion.

EDIT: And to the above poster, City 18's Nexus is hell of a lot better than City 45's.

Offline Cats Pajamas

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:30:58 AM »
City 45 has gotten kind of dull. Map change would be great regardless of what it was too but city 8 would be awesome.

+Support
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:30:13 PM by Ron Jeremy »
Glenn Irene Jr. Savior of the Outlands!

Offline Pielolz

• Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Comrades [OCRP Award] Full Economy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
Do I need Boreale to say it?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSjSSq57pg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSjSSq57pg</a>

C45 is awesome. C8, however, is complex, hard to navigate, shitty appartments, the worst Nexus EVER. And guess what? C45 allows you to webul if you want, gives awesome chances for CPs, and has the best CWU facilities ever.

And C8 has hugely laggy features, like how the CITEDAL OPENS. It shakes the map and pours out effects. Shitty systems = LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAg

Offline Teitoku Ippan

• weeaboo faggot
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Evo City Half Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [OCRP Award] Owner Party
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
Do I need Boreale to say it?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSjSSq57pg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSjSSq57pg</a>

C45 is awesome. C8, however, is complex, hard to navigate, shitty appartments, the worst Nexus EVER. And guess what? C45 allows you to webul if you want, gives awesome chances for CPs, and has the best CWU facilities ever.

And C8 has hugely laggy features, like how the CITEDAL OPENS. It shakes the map and pours out effects. Shitty systems = LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAg

Obviously you have a 90's PC then since I recall having no lag when I checked out the map before, and that Citadel is awesome on C8.

Offline igor

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 12:59:26 PM »
I actually liked C8, both as a citizen and a unit. I played on a low end computer (I built it in 08, best back then) on city 8 and only experienced slight FPS issues because my computer was obsolete. Unless you're maxing your shit out on some brick from the early 2000s you shouldn't lag that bad.
C45.CCA.APEX-05.245

'Clyde'

Kal'Rinok

Offline UnKuT

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
Arguing that City 45 is the best map available because it is "awesome for units" is just invalid, in my honest opinion. This is Half-Life 2 Roleplay, not Combine Roleplay, therefore everybody needs a map that provides them with the best locations to RP as -anything-, be it a Rebel, a Citizen, a Vort, anything. Everybody has several different personal preferences, and when players begin to get forced to play as a pre-defined character or entity, that's when things get boring. I think that roleplay is at it's best when you're allowed to RP as the most extravagant, most unique characters you can think off, sure that in some servers there are limits, such as this one, but there is still a whole lot of space for legit imagination.
Subject: Dexter Sunderland, Male
Assignment: Maintain the personal safety of key Resistance members

Offline Checkers

• Cats are cool stuff
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
So, can we agree with city 8 lawl?
I am ded not big surprise.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal