Author Topic: Need help joining the City server  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Guard55

• View Profile
    • Awards
Need help joining the City server
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »
Hello, I've played on the City server for quite a while now, but I had gone inactive for almost 4 months. I felt like role playing again and I remembered great memories on the City server. So I tried desperately and no luck. Every time I try to join the server, it goes to downloading a cache file and then... "HL2.exe has stopped responding." I've tried everything. Playing singleplayer and then joining directly to the server, deleting cache files, redownloading the map. Nothing works. I may have missed an important step or fix in order to join the server, so could anybody please tell me how I can fix this problem? Thank you.

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Secret Phrase [OCRP Award] Social Player
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Need help joining the City server
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »
Have you tried verifying Gmod's game files? If not then rename the /garrysmod/garrysmod folder then restart gmod, then drag over folders like materials, models and maps (usually not addons but w/e)

Offline Nicknero

• Hatsune Miku
  • Gold Member
  • Awards [OCRP Award] Millionaire [OCRP Award] Evo City Marathon [OCRP Award] Social Player [GMR2 Award] 100 MPH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
Last time I had this problem, I did what Smt said. But I would recommend to NOT drag over any folders just yet. Just try to join the server and see if it works. If so, it means a file in one of the folders is corrupted.

You can track down this file by dragging over each folder (models, material, addons etc) 1 by 1 and retry to join the server every time.

When I had this problem, I had a Player.mdl file in my models folder which was corrupted. Small chance you have the same, but it's a start of your hunt towards your corrupted filed. ;)
Check out my Youtube channel with all kinds of cool videos including LP's which I'm currently working at. Don't forget to give feedback as well. ;)

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
I had a corrupted model from the TnB pack and it just did this

Click to see the original size.

Offline Guard55

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Have you tried verifying Gmod's game files? If not then rename the /garrysmod/garrysmod folder then restart gmod, then drag over folders like materials, models and maps (usually not addons but w/e)

What do you mean "Rename the folder"? And shouldn't my anti virus detect if a file is corrupted or not?

Offline smt

• lemon flavor lubricant
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »
Corrupted isn't the same as infected/malicious.

By renaming the "/garrysmod/garrysmod" folder and running garrysmod it recreates a NEW, clean garrysmod folder without redownloading anything, so then you can reinstall maps and models etc

Offline Guard55

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »
Oh... I never thought of that. Heh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal